Thursday, June 9, 2011

my early music memories

Current mood:thoughtful
I was born in 1952 and in around 1956 or late 1955 I was about 4 years old and I remember hearing the radio more than any thing as far as music is concerned . I don't think my parents had a record player at that time or if they did I don't recall using it or listening to it, actually I don't think I was that interested in music yet, anyways , I was outside and I hear a radio playing a song that said "I never felt more like singing the Blues", it was a hit then by Marty Robbins and Guy Mitchell. As a little kid I remember thinking to myself "what are the blues?" ...I couldn't figure out what the singer was talking about. I asked somebody and they probably told me but I still didn't get it . My mind was blank to the word , "blues".so I just shrugged it off and went and played. I think it just seemed weird and stupid, "blues?' , these grown ups are listen to that ?
     The other thing that was going on in 1956 was a guy two doors down that sat in a little summer hut singing Elvis songs. He had greasy hair and seemed very,very old to me at my  ripe old age of 5. I think he was in his teens. I thought that Elvis Presley was an old guy , It was 1956, he was 20 or 21, the hits on the radio were many but I don't recall them , I guess they didn't have that funny word in them , "Blues?'........As I look back now it seems to me I must have heard the radio for a long time before I started my formal classical piano lessons in 1960. at least a good seven years of radio before I had to play Beethovan, Bach,etc. I remember my music teacher correcting me on timing, rhythmns, and posture. I'm  begining to wonder how I would have turned out as a musician if hadn't been classically trained?  
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment