Saturday, October 31, 2015

Don't have to write songs

In about 1974-1975 I was  on  the  road  with  a band in Toronto and the leader  of  the  band
said  to  me  that  if  I  wanted  to  make  it  in this  business I would have to  start writing songs.
I had never  written a song and he was writing songs and we were playing them in his band ....so
I started to write ...as I look back I can see now  that in 99.9% of all the bookings I've had over the years, we didn't have  to  have original songs . We could still make a living playing covers....so I don't really  have  to write  songs to make a go of it .....I could just sing other peoples material and still get  paid ......having said  that ,  there were times when I retained my sanity but performing 2 or 3 of my own songs during a difficult gig....I'm glad I can write now but don't have to...
  

No comments:

Post a Comment